Subcontracting with Joe Cieplinski
In this episode we talk with Joe Cieplinski of Breakpoint Studio and Release Notes about the challenges and benefits companies and freelancers face in a subcontracting relationship.
- Joe Cieplinski
- The Leading indie iOS/Mac (and watchOS, and tvOS) Developer conference
- It's all about Community and Code!
- Four days of hands-on training, amazing sessions, and the great community. All Swift.
- Specialize in helping businesses build apps for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch
- 10 years of experience developing for a variety of Apple platform
- Helping dev shops which lack experience with Apple platforms and Swift
Thoughts on WWDC
Business + Developer Conferences
Why Should You Be A Subcontractor?
- An Agency needs flexibility and an extra developer for a project
- An Agency needs a special expertise (i.e. HealthKit, WatchKit, etc…)
- Fill a need for a particular platform and expertise (i.e. iOS) on team with other platform developers
Things to Consider for iOS Developers
- Have a portfolio and resume - help the agency sell you to other companies
- Be a T-shaped developer - know the how to build an iOS app but also have a special expertise in an area
- Consider being a consultant - help build iOS development teams for companies while also making more money
- Know developers of other platforms - such as Android - if you can work with them then this provides even more value to the agency
Challenges of Being a Subcontractor
- Giving up Flexibility - you can be dropped at anytime because you only filling a role till a full-time employee is hired
- Communication and Management - Understood Your Role Within the Structure
- Don't Talk Money with Client Directly - Discussions on Money and Time should go though the agency always not directly with the client
- Don’t Sell Yourself as an Individual - remember you represent the agency
- Listen to the Team - Follow the agency and client’s protocols and guidelines such as their coding style, etc…
Speaking at 360|iDev
- Joe’s Talk - When a Simple Algorithm will Do
- Leo’s Talk - The Multi-Threaded Asynchronous Parallel World of Swift
Social Media★ Support this podcast on Patreon ★